Born in Ohio, Marilyn Harcharik graduated from Duke in 1969 with a degree in Psychology. After Duke, she moved to Washington DC, where she worked as a computer programmer at Goddard Space Flight Center on the Apollo and Skylab Missions. While in DC she earned her Master’s Degree in Technology and Management from The American University.
In addition to her work in computer programming, she held a position with General Electric, working both as a strategic planner and in International Policies and Procedures. She later worked in marketing at GTE before becoming VP of marketing at MCI, the telecommunications company.
From 1984 through 1990 she ran her own business selling computers as well as offering training and consulting services.
Semi-retired, Marilyn settled in Hilton Head where for six years she experienced the gated community lifestyle (Long Cove) and sold real estate. She later moved to the Landings in Savannah, a gated community of 8,000 residents where she spent seven years and where she expanded her volunteer work, including assisting at a Safe Shelter for victims of Domestic Abuse and working on several major fund raising events for that organization, including an event at Savannah State with notable animal expert, zoologist and television personality Jack Hannah, and in helping organize a Temptations fundraising concert at the Savanah Civic Center. At the Landings she also served as the new neighbor connection for readers, in charge of helping place interested new arrivals into local book clubs.
After moving to Beaufort in 2003, Marilyn continued to take on projects in service to her community, including:
– Setting up and managing two golf tournaments at Dataw for Palmetto Animal League, a non-profit.
– Co-Chairing Books Sandwiched In for the Friends of the Library 2004-2009
– Serving as President of Friends of the Library for five years: 2009 and again 2014 – 2017.
– Joining the Beaufort Memorial Hospital Foundation Board from 2005-2014 and serving as board Secretary.
– Volunteering at the St Peter’s Food Pantry.
– Completing the Beaufort Senior Leadership training in 2016; she currently is involved in an Alumni organization of this program for community engagement.